Lots of stuff going on in my head. Thoughts are not organized. Will try it put it here. Lets’s see.
I had a meeting with lady from city authority of district Ostrava – Vítkovice. I wass offered a space to put my prints from my current display in city library. So, after my exhibition is finished in library, I will have a space to hang prints. Confirmed. Prints will be moved to this gallery space in Dům u šraněk in September. Lovely little space. Lots of frames available, so I can hang all my prints in there. I wanted to avoid having official opening, but lady that takes care of the place insisted on it. So I will have an official opening. She said there will be children from music school performing as an introduction to the opening. I wanted to avoid it, but I said ok. One downside is, that the space is only open one day a week and people will need to ring the bell on the door to access. But I am very happy for this possibility. Feeling good about it.
I am almost finished with processing and publishing of photos from Olympus OMD. That means, I will soon start with processing of photos from Ricoh GR II. Hopefully, I will start during this weekend.
Thought on my social media accounts:
- Flickr – still using it. More like a storage and for organizing photos, that I want to put online. Processed photos. Using it less as platform for sharing photos. I mean, they are still public, but not added to groups. I involve very little in the communications with my contacts.
- Facebook – I still have two Facebook accounts. One for photo-sharing. One for family. Now I feel I have at least one account that needs to be stopped. Two Facebooks is too many Facebooks. Unfortunately, it is not possible to merge two FB accounts. Still, I use FB to advertise my blog posts on WordPress.
- Instagram – stopped using in February. Finally I reached the point that I am not missing it. First weeks were hard, but now it is fine. Am I missed on Instagram? Nooo. Should I delete it? I will just keep it there for now.
- Twitter – I am using it rather as an RSS reader and partly to advertise my blog posts. But mainly as RSS to read interesting content (news etc).
- Ipernity – I deleted that account a couple of weeks ago. Never used it much. I would leave it as it is, but I started to receive E-mails (not subscribed) asking me to donate money to Ipernity as they are in financial loss. I think this site has dark future.
- Tumblr – deleted my blog after three years of using with it’s 2 500 followers, but that number of followers was nonsense. I haven’t been using it for months. On WordPress I have 15 followers and most of them, I think are, serious. Not just followers to be followed in return and liked in return.
- 500px – I have been sharing there automatically for a while, but it is sleeping. Never anything meaningful came from it. And it will be sleeping in the future. No interest. Thought it is very similar to Flickr.
- Website (Jimdo) – it is updated once an a while. It is something like online business card. Keeper.
And than I have this blog.
All above shows I gave a lot of energy to these platforms during the years. To my online (Internet) presence. It has positives. I met new people from these platform in real life, that I would not have met. Actually, I will have a couple of meet ups during coming months. People that are going to Ostrava and want to meet for a coffee/chat/photo. All people form abroad, that I have not seen before. Plus points for Facebook, Flickr etc. But it also shows, that I am more present on the Internet and very little eye to eye photography related discussions in real life.
Regarding Flickr. I talked to Kevin online and I read his blog post How to improve your photostream , which he wrote a year ago. This post is still very valid and I deeply agree. Things like photostream (album of all your public photos) where people throw all their images is far to ideal invention, but millions of people (me included) had taken it as a given standard. Looking to the address flickr.com/photos/friends had become a habit for millions of people. But, what it is? It is a web page were you see all content from the people that you marked as contacts or people you follow. At least it is not based on algorithms like Facebook, where you see more popular first (as default).
I like Kevin’s thought on “likes” and how he sees it. He says it is used as sort of a currency. You receive these points. You can actually earn them by your activity. There are brilliant photographs out there, they are present on social media, but they don’t play this game, and their photos don’t earn these clicks/likes. Thought they could be “stars” in real life…
I had such a funny idea/fiction. Imagine group of 50 photographers (all strangers to each other) sitting in one big room. Everyone has 5 own photographs. It is all sitting on the table. Photos has names of the authors on them. So we have 250 photos on the table. Every photo has a little cup in front, where you put your votes. But they would be throwing candies in the cup. One candy = one like. The more candies in the cup, the better. Than those people all of sudden start walking around, throwing candies in the cups and saying stuff like “This is cool. Fab shot…”. After 15 minutes, or after seeing first 50 photos, these poor participants would be tired of it, and they would just mindlessly throw theirs candies here and there. It is so ridiculous, but it is actually game that is going on here…. Who will be winner in this fiction? Nobody.
These are photos that I made in Vitkovice District of Ostrava. Made in between July 2016 and February 2017.